Oh well... 2020 keeps being a challenging year, and I really hope you are all safe and sound!
Let me share my favorite content in October.
Section titled Let's build `today-i-learned.dev`!
In a pure developer manner, I had a shower thought and two minutes later I bought the domain
today-i-learned.dev. Now it's time to do something with it. The idea is to have a place where people can share "Today I learned" posts.
We kicked it off yesterday and built a site using Next.js. So far, it fetches and displays TIL RSS feeds.
I'm working on it live on Tuesday evening, CET time. Come and say "Hi"! 🙈
Let's type faster!Section titled Let's type faster!
Next month I'll try to improve my writing speed. I type with ten fingers, but I lost hope that I'm getting any faster at it. This article shared how to move you typing the next level using snippets. And while I use snippets for things like my email address (
stefan@@) and the phrase "Have a great day!" (
Hagd) already, I feel like I can level up there.
Wish me luck! 😊
Three excellent articles to readSection titled Three excellent articles to read
- Little things make all the difference by Derek Sivers
- What I Didn't Expect to Learn From Running My Side Hustle by Jake Z.
- How to make video calls almost as good as face-to-face by Ben Kuhn
Three useful projects to have a look atSection titled Three useful projects to have a look at
- yuanqing / vdx – An intuitive CLI for processing video, powered by FFmpeg
- iina / iina – A modern video player for macOS.
- xdesro / personalsit.es – A little directory of people's personal sites
New posts on the blogSection titled New posts on the blog
- How to use git's file diff outside of git repositories
- Say goodbye to resource-caching across sites and domains
- Aliases to make the mv and cp commands more user friendly
- How to let all your users know what to expect when they click a link
- The over-engineering of everyday tools and apps
This month's DevSheetsSection titled This month's DevSheets
You can find more #devsheets on Twitter.
A talk to watchSection titled A talk to watch
A quote to think aboutSection titled A quote to think about
Most single page apps are just giant carousels.
A song that makes you stop codingSection titled A song that makes you stop coding
Jayda G's track "Both of us" is a funky house track with a beautiful piano melody. It reminds me of the beautiful past summers with friends and electronic music. They'll come back next year!
And that's it! 🎉
Lastly, I'd like to ask you a question: I'm considering sending out this newsletter every other week. Would you enjoy that? Let me know what you think and if you have any feedback, please send me an email. Also, if you like, sharing the newsletter would mean the world to me. :)
FYI, if you want to keep track of the resources in this newsletter, check out my RSS feeds.
Stay safe, and I'll talk to you in December! 🎉 👋
Reply to Stefan